Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Don't Share Your Music With Me...

Our nearest neighbor, Sean, has a keyboard and maybe a drum set in a room that is quite close to our house.  When all the windows are open in the Summer, we can hear him break into song at whim.  This happens day and night.  Luckily for us it doesn't last long.  Today, it's the blues.  Usually it's more rock 'n roll.  In either case, he sings off tune, turns up the base on the speakers and generally annoys me.

The equivalent to this in Paris is the child who is taking up the violin and practices those scratchy notes over and over again.  Or the opera lover who opens the windows early on Sunday morning to share the aria with the entire neighborhood. 

I don't like clutter and in my mind noise pollution is clutter that I can't recycle.  I want to be able to hear what I want to hear, when I want to hear it.  Aren't there headphones for this?

We've tried calling and emailing him and the noise stops for awhile and then, after a week or so, it comes back.  Does he think we forgot that we hate to hear him singing off key, "Love you in the morning, babe, love you every day, love you on the weekend..."  Not a compelling lyric or a true note in our enforced daily concerts.

No comments: