Monday, July 30, 2012

Hoarder or Purger?

I just launched a major clean-out effort.  Two closets were the source of my attention yesterday afternoon.

I feel much better.  I now have three large bags of clothes to take to the Goodwill.  I was nice enough to fold everything and put "like" items together.  I even put outfits together in the bag so that it would be easier to merchandise these items.  Suits, jeans, sweaters and dresses from a bygone era, mostly my life when I worked in an office.  I really had a lot of clothes back then.  Someone will get some nice things, which is great.

Next comes the dresser and closet drawers.  It will feel good to make room for new things.

I think that most people have a tendency to hoard or purge.  I am more of a hoarder, Terry is definitely a purger.  Some of the things in the bags that are earmarked for the Goodwill are probably 10 years old.  I have no use for them but I kept them in a remote closet, "just in case".  There are some old things in this closet that I take out once a year, these items are staying.  They include a red t-shirt with a discreet white heart that I wear on Valentine's Day and two fun Christmas sweaters.

Shamefully, I've found and discarded several things with the price tags still hanging from them.

As I went through the closet, I reminisced.  In addition to the "just in case" scenario, the memories evoked by certain things are too great.  I fear I'll lose that memory if I give the item away.  But, out they go!  Even a hoarder has to clean out and I see the necessity of it as well as the catharsis.

As you can imagine, I don't really understand purgers.  My husband has been known to throw things away prematurely.  Then, we have an all-out APB for the item and never find it.  He purges things one at a time, throwing them in the trash can.  It's not worth a trip to the Goodwill.  Luckily, our cleaning lady usually finds these things and I'm sure either her husband or son are enjoying them and giving them a second life.

Hoarder or purger?  While I want to reform, I doubt that it's possible.


No comments: