Wednesday, October 3, 2012

More Lost In The Translation(s)

I made two "betises" (stupid, silly things) errors in French in the last few days.  Everyone laughs when they hear what happened and I've told this story several times. 

The first one was mistaking the word "cendrier" (ashtray) for the word "sanglier" (wild boar or hog). 

These two words really sound the same.  The context was that a woman stole an ashtray from a hotel and put it in her suitcase but the hotel found out and searched everyone's suitcases.  Since I heard that she stole a wild boar not an ashtray I listened for the end of the story and was not satisfied.  How big was the suitcase, did the sanglier die...  I was very confused and no one else asked any questions, so I had to ask him to clarify the story and when they found out that I heard "sanglier" not "cendrier" they all went into hysterics.  At my expense, of course.

The second was when I pulled out my lipstick to put it on and someone asked what I was doing, I replied that I was putting on my... I didn't know the word for lipstick in French so I said "lipstick" in English.  Another roar of laughter from the French... they thought I said "lifting" as in facelift.  No idea how a little tube of pink stuff could work such miracles.  


No comments: