Monday, December 22, 2008

My Head Is Falling Off!

I've told Terry this many times. It always has to do with spending too much time in a difficult mental place.

This didn't happen when I was young, I could spend the whole day in school and be fine, but now...

An example: I went to a french movie today, in french. After the movie, I discussed the movie, in french, with a french friend. So, this amounts to about 4 + straight hours in the french language. Of course, this is good for my language skills, and it was a great afternoon. I really, really enjoyed it.

But, as I walked home, I felt that familiar heaviness at the back of my neck. I got to our building, entered, and our friend and neighbor, Jean, was at the elevator. He told me in French about our guardienne, who is on vacation, and a couple of other simple things.

I'd been speaking french for hours, but for some reason, the verbs did not find the nouns and the pronouns and prepositions were gone. Forget adjectives and adverbs, my head is falling off!

I've had enough french for one day, I need English language, a glass of wine (OK if it's french) and some Advil.

No comments: