Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Panic In The Streets of Paris

You must know that I don't mean due to the bomb scare at the Printemps department store yesterday.

On my way home from the gym today, I stopped at the flower shop and bought some beautiful white tulips. Then, I went to the best bakery in the neighborhood for some bread. It was close to noon, so there was a line going down the street. When I got to the door, I saw the sign that said that they would be closed from December 24 through January 4th. "Have a Nice Holiday".

Have a nice holiday -- OK, that's easy for them to say -- they are on vacation, but I'm here, without food!

Paranoia is setting in. Will all the stores be closed, or just the good ones? I guess I can't be picky at Christmas, I'll have to take whatever dregs of food are around, mainly the food from the corner "Alimentation" which costs a fortune, and, they are rude.

With this in mind, I grabbed Terry and we made a dash to the butcher's, which re-opens after lunch at 3PM. We ordered something nice for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Then, on to the wine store, where we stocked up on enough champagne to last us through the long holiday weeks. I'm feeling a little more relaxed.

We've never been in Paris for Christmas. We're used to being in Manhattan Beach, where Ralph's is open 24/7. So, if I run out of something vital at 6 PM on Christmas night, they will be open, with plenty of stuff to help me get through the night.

During my normal evening round of errands, I stopped in at a few shops to ask them about their plans for the holiday. From everyone I got an air of extreme surprise at my question and these responses: "Of course, we'll be open, as usual" "Why would you ask?" "We won't be on holiday".

OK, do I believe them or not? Of course not. I guarantee you that on December 23rd, they will be shutting their doors, turning off their lights and pulling down the shutters.

Planning to open again on January 5th!

No comments: