Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Domestic Reservations

Nearly all the trips I take by plane are to Europe.

I'm not used to the new restrictions for domestic flights such as add-on charges for checked bags and paying for food. Air France takes all our huge heavy bags without discussion, then feeds us lavishly every time we're hungry. We get champagne in a real glass. I'm used to being treated fairly well during a flight. Where have I been? Paris, I guess.

I just made reservations to visit my sister. I did it by phone rather than the internet. Ding! Add $15 for speaking to a person.

The Continental reservation person then informed me, very nicely, that my first checked bag will cost $15, the second one would be $25. There won't be a second bag on a four day trip after this news.

The alternative is to take only a carry-on. The bag can weigh as much as 40 pounds. Do they weigh it? What happens if it weighs 41 pounds, am I charged for the overweight bag?

I then told the woman that I doubted that I could lift 40 pounds over my head into the overhead bin, she told me that there would surely be a "Good Samaritan" to help out. You never know, this could get ugly. Earlier this year, my sister, who is stronger and taller than me, wrenched her back and neck because there was no one to help her with her carry-on.

Other restrictions include a $150 charge to change the ticket.

I'm wondering what else will be tacked on to a basic coach ticket. I'll bring a credit card, that's for sure.

No comments: