Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Personal Shopper

For avocados




We have a very large new Whole Foods in our neighborhood. For those of you in France, it is like a giant Naturalia.

Since it is more expensive than normal stores and a little bit out of my way, I don't go there very often, but I went there today to stock up on vitamins for our next trip.

I also got some food for dinner, including a nice avocado. As I was checking out, the woman behind the cash register looked at me and said, "do you really want this one?"

I told her I wasn't wedded to it, I simply wanted a ripe one. She then locked her register, telling me she'd be right back.

I stood there, helplessly thinking about the #70 bus drivers in Paris, who stop the bus, open the doors and walk out, crossing the street, leaving the bus running. Another driver comes back about 5 minutes later, no explanation whatsoever. Where do they go? What do they do?

Smiling, the cashier returned with two avocados. She then proceeded to have me feel/squeeze each one while explaining that her choice was better, trust her. So I did. We'll see tonight when I put it in the salad.

In any case, I think I've discovered my own Whole Foods personal shopper.

No comments: