Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Brain Is In France

I just wrote a phrase to my sister that is very telling, "my brain is in France". This sounds silly, but the minute I get off the plane (and through immigration) I'm in France and my brain is confused. It has American thoughts that have been ingrained in me since my birth, but I also have French thoughts interjecting in a stream-of-consciousness that defies my control.

It's all very difficult to be one nationality. Which translates, in most cases to NORMAL.

She asked me for some simple gift suggestions but my brain is in France so it goes immediately to the French go-to items - chocolate, flowers.

Since the gifts are for Americans, who are in the US, this is not ideal. A struggle ensues. It's all in my brain, you can't see it, you can't hear it.

Instead of left brain-right brain things going on, I have French Brain/US Brain thoughts passing rapidly into my conscious. Flowers/chocolate/books/wine/gift certificates...

I have no control over this and I don't want to! We'll just have to settle for gift ideas that are somewhat out of the ordinary.

No comments: