Thursday, March 5, 2009

It Pays To Have Points

Unfortunately, we don't have many frequent flyer miles. We don't earn them like we used to and we use them as soon as they accumulate.

The coach seats on Air France are incredibly small. Perhaps because French people, in general, are smaller than Americans. I am short and my knees touch the seat back in front of me. Imagine being a 6 foot tall man with long legs!

We aren't in a position to fork over $15K for round trip business class seats. So, we generally are in the back of the plane, begging for a meal, a glass of water or waiting in a long line for the 3 bathrooms allocated for 200 people.

Lately, we've been lucky. We finally accumulated enough miles on Air France for an upgrade. No seats were available until the day before the flight, but we finally cashed the miles in and rode in comfort. Now we're spoiled, it happens so easily.

My sister and her husband have points, though. I can't tell you all their secrets for accumulating miles, but they have plenty to go around, it appears.

We now are the beneficiaries of their efforts. They gave us First/Business class seats round trip for our next trip. I've just confirmed it all today, and it's really true!

Once again, I'll be enjoying the "lounge" before the flight, sitting in the front of the plane, not sharing the bathroom with the masses, I will be very spoiled, pampered and comfortable.

Yes, it pays to have miles. Or at least to know someone who has them, in this case. Thanks, Cork and Alan!

No comments: